Monday, June 20, 2011

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass
Synopsis:

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance,
Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Book Details:

Publisher: Egmont USA

Pub. Date: June 14, 2011

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 397

My Review:

What exactly is Hourglass by Myra McEntire? I can tell you the answer to this question. Whether or not I can tell you without sounding like a total fangirl might be next to impossible. When I first heard about Hourglass I knew I had to read it ASAP. Hourglass sounded totally original, and it is original.

Hourglass is about Emmerson Cole who has been seeing visions of people from the past. She's tried just about every way there is to help get rid of her problem, or at least try to find out why she is seeing these peope from another time. Nothing has helped and Emmerson is tired of taking medication. So without the knowledge of her brother and his wife, Emmerson stops taking the medication. Reluctantly she agrees with her brother to try conselling one more time.

I'm so glad Emmerson agreed to her brother's wishes. If she didn't who knew if she would meet the amazing Micheal Weaver. Actually they more than likely would have met at some point. Micheal helps Emmerson discover what she is and how to handle life with her situation. Emmerson and Michael are now one of my top favorite YA couples. Added plus was that Myra never tortured me by having me wait too long for Emmerson and Micheal to meet up with each other.

Besides Michael all the other charcters are very likable. I mean it when I say all of them. But of course there is a major twist at the end of the book that you'll never see coming. Now that I think about it the whole book was unpredictable. Hourglass seriously has everything anyone could ever want in a book and then some. The last sentence of the book's synopsis says it all perfectly. I found myself laughing a lot because the characters are so funny. Seriously, I adore this book.

To prove my point as to how epic Hourglass is I'm going to say that if time travel were possible and one could only bring one book with them on their travels I would choose Hourglass by Myra McEntire. Really how many times in your life do you come accross a book that has you mesmorized with every word? For me, not many times. Myra McEntire is pure, literary genius. Where has she been all my life? Myra knows how to write an excellent novel. While I was reading Hourglass I kept thinking, "Dang Myra could write any genre, even genres that I don't like, and I'd buy every single book".

Didn't I tell you it'd be nearly impossible for me not to go all fangirl with my reveiw? :)

2 comments:

page turner paulina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
page turner paulina said...

AHHH! I keep seeing this book everywhere I turn :D It sounds so original, like a mix of all my favorite genre thrown into one book!

Great review!
http://pageturnerpaulina.blogspot.com/