Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

Synopsis: The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James.

Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing.

Book Details:
Publisher: Little, Brown books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: August 1, 2010
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352

My Review:
What could I possibly say about Guardian of the Gate? Well for starters I was a little disappointed with the first half of the book. I was hoping to love the sequel as much as I loved the first book of the trilogy. The first book, Prophecy of the Sisters, had me completely captivated. Very much so in fact I was on a trip in Florida to go to SeaWorld (which was awesome) and Universal Studios (which was a bore) and everyday I woke up early to read the book. Needless to say Prophecy of the Sisters was one of my most memorable moments from that trip. 
For much of Guardian of the Gate, Lia is traveling to Altus. The journey, for the most part, was slow going and not much happened. When things did happen, however, the book got less boring. Along the way to Altus is a journey full of betrayal, budding romance, and flight. To be honest the only good thing to come out of the trip was Dimitri who is Lia’s new love interest. Even though he didn’t make my heart flutter and swoon over him I really liked that he cares a great deal for Lia. He is willing to go to great lengths to protect her and make her feel comfortable. 
What happened on the journey to Altus did change the way things are between the keys and Lia. This certain incident made me want to read to find out how, and if, things will get back to the way they were. Besides the first half of the book the second half was awesome! I liked Altus as much as Lia. The people on the island were great (besides two of them) and I like their laid-back kind of living. I mean seriously silk robes as the usual attire sounds heavenly. I remember the day where I would come home Michelle Zink has created and continued to maintain a wonderful world in her Sisters trilogy. Her writing flows magically and thats just one reason why I will forever read her stories. I can say with 100% certainty that the second half of Guardian of the Gate will leave you wanting to read Circle of Fire to find out how it all ends. 

1 comment:

Lindsay Cummings author said...

i'm glad the book ends with making you want to read the next one! that's always good! thx for the review!

here's my latest review, just posted it! for the predicteds! stop by! :)

http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-predicteds.html