Saturday, October 16, 2010

Review: Awakened (Book 1 of The Guardian Legacy) by Ednah Walters


Synopsis (from Amazon): Most teens turn sixteen and get the license to drive, but Lil Falcon gets the license to kill demons. Orphaned as a child and raised by an eccentric grandfather, Lil is concerned with surviving high school and is unaware that she's a Guardian-a being with super powers charged with killing demons and protecting humanity. When she meets Bran, a mysterious boy with amazing abilities, his psi energy unlocks her latent powers. But Bran has a secret that can ruin their growing relationship, and the truth she discovers may destroy everything she believes in unless she finds the right balance between love and sacrifice.

Book Details:
Publisher: Pill Hill Press
Pub. Date: August/September 2010
Format: Paperback
Pages: 272

My Review:
Let me start this review off by saying that Ednah Walters is an author to be on the look out for. Awakened is her debut novel and the debut to her series of The Guardian Legacy. I’m thrilled that this is a series! After reading Awakened, I’ve been trying for too long on how to write a review without looking like a total fan girl. I feel myself just wanting to gush how great this book is already! You really should go out and buy Awakened. I find that it is probably better that I did not write a review right away. I will leave the plot and more info about the characters for you to find out for yourself.
Awakened is a story of Lil and how she discovers her family’s well kept secret. She also learns of her own special powers. In the beginning she meets a super handsome and mysterious boy, Bran. Lil’s meeting with Bran is in a way the starting point to her discovering a world she never did imagine.
Lil is a great main character. She cares a great deal about her family, and she would do anything for her grandfather. Her actions just prove it throughout the novel. And yes, there are a lot of family secrets that will come to light in both Lil’s and Bran’s cases.
All the supporting characters are wonderful. Some may take a little while longer to like than others. Towards the end I liked the Guardian Trainees, they are like their own little family.
Now back to Bran, what can I say I love him, I lived for every chapter that he was in. Lil is a very lucky girl even if at times she doesn’t think this. Bran is so sweet to Lil. They both look out for each other and the chemistry, dang...
Might I add that there are villains in Awakened. Even the villains can be sympathized with. Well some of the villains. Some have reasons for why they are the way they are and some are just plain mean.
There was only one problem that I had while reading this book. Well make that two! One was that there was an awkward moment between Lil and her new friend. Of course they were having the usual girl talk, but Lil’s friend said something in a weird, disturbing way. I wrote down the page number too, but not sure if its the same page in the final copy of the book. The second problem I had with the book was I wanted to be a part of Awakened. I think it would be fun to spend at least a day with all the characters. Awakened has its fair share of action also. The training sessions between the Trainees. The battle of good and evil collide in the end.
Awakened will leave the reader wanting more. I know I’m eagerly awaiting the second book, Betrayed. Ednah Walters has certainly written an epic novel. With action, romance, suspense, secrets, and mystery Awakened has it all. Needless to say that a lot of readers should find it hard to put this book down.
5 Stars!
Here is the book trailer:

No comments: