Saturday, July 30, 2011

This Book Really is a YA Novel!!!

Okay, so I found this book on Goodreads. When I first saw the cover I immediatedly determined that it was just another adult book. Boy was I so very wrong. It was not until tonight when I decided to look at the book a bit more, because the title is an attention grabber, did I find out it is a YA novel. Plus, a YA novel that sounds like the kind of book I'll love. So I truly felt compelled to bring this to everyone's attention, who might have also immediatedly judged it for an adult book, that Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts is in fact 100% a Young Adult novel. I can say that yes this another case where I did judge a book by its cover and I'm so glad that I took another look into it. But I can't be the only person out there to have seen this book and was like "well there's another adult book with a set of eyes on the cover." In my opinion nothing about this book cover screams or even gives a hint that this book might in fact be a YA novel. Sometimes I find myself asking why did the publisher choose this cover? Like sometimes I'll find a book that looks like it could be YA but turns out to be an adult novel and vice versa. 

Anyways here is the book's synopsis if you are interested: 
Since mankind began, civilizations have always fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs…Now it’s our turn. Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even more awful is happening. An ancient evil has been unleashed, turning everday people into hunters, killers, crazies.
Mason's mother is dying after a terrible car accident. As he endures a last vigil at her hospital bed, his school is bombed and razed to the ground, and everyone he knows is killed. Aries survives an earthquake aftershock on a bus, and thinks the worst is over when a mysterious stranger pulls her out of the wreckage, but she’s about to discover a world changed forever. Clementine, the only survivor of an emergency town hall meeting that descends into murderous chaos, is on the run from savage strangers who used to be her friends and neighbors. And Michael witnesses a brutal road rage incident that is made much worse by the arrival of the police--who gun down the guilty party and then turn on the bystanding crowd.
Where do you go for justice when even the lawmakers have turned bad? These four teens are on the same road in a world gone mad. Struggling to survive, clinging on to love and meaning wherever it can be found, this is a journey into the heart of darkness – but also a journey to find each other and a place of safety.

So what are your thoughts about this book and its cover? Did you have the same situation as I did? 

No comments: