Monday, August 1, 2011

Review: Betrayed by Ednah Walters

Synopsis: Lil has come to terms with her life as a Guardian/demon hunter and the wielder of the Nephilim most powerful weapon-the Kris Dagger. She trains everyday to master her growing powers, gets along with her Guardian trainee friends, most of the time, and cherishes the time she spends with her human friends. 

Just when she feels she belongs, her nature-bender father contacts her and warns her about a betrayal by someone close to her. Then Bran, the boy she loves, starts to act strange and one of her human friends acquires a supernatural ability. While Lil struggles find a connection between these three things, she begins to realize that someone is manipulating her and will stop at nothing, including hurting those she loves, to lure her to the dark side.


Book Details: 
Publisher: Firetrail Publishing 
Pub. Date: August 1, 2011
Format: Paperback 
Pages: 368

My Review: 
If there is one thing anyone should know its that I just absolutely LOVED, still do, Ednah's debut novel and the first book in The Guardian Legacy series, AWAKENDED. As soon as I got BETRAYED in my hands I eagerly wanted to start reading the book right away. When I finally did get to start reading this book I was disappointed. Two of my thoughts at the beginning were, "I knew the first book was so great that the second might not live up to expectations" and "This book has got to get better I know Ednah can't fail at writing a great story." 

Betrayed started out very slow for me at the beginning and it wasn't until the middle of the book where things got increasingly better. While I get the bad stuff out of the way first, I'll say that there was one thing that bugged me a little besides the fact the book had a slow start, was that Ednah waited about 50 pages into the book to refresh the readers about what is going on or maybe the more acurate word is reintroductions. Usually authors refresh the readers with everything, this includes what happened in the previous book and the characters, in the very beginning chapters. Ednah certainly did something unique by waiting until way later. One more thing confusing thing about this book was that some scenes did not make sense. I may have just misunderstood what was going on but there was one scene where Lil was talking about how she wants to send someone to Tartarus. And I was like, "what is she talking about didn't she just send that person to Tartarus?!?!" I hope that wasn't confusing! 

Once the book picked up and was able to captivate me exactly like the first book did things went smoothly from there. I'm so glad I stuck with my gut to keep on pushing through the novel because it'd get better. All my favorite characters returned in this novel and there are new additions to the character list like Angelia. I liked all the new characters whether they were good or bad. Yeah I can't really say much without giving it all away. In Betrayed, Ednah certainly did make me think a lot about who could be the traitor and who could be the medium. Is Valafar really trying to be a genuinely good father to Lil? Or does he have a secret agenda? I can tell you that I never did try to guess who the traitor was because Ednah is so good at making the story so open with possiblilities that anyone could be the traitor. 

Lil's life got to the point where everything seemed to be going downhill. Lil could not fully trust anyone. Lil's relationship with Bran is getting complicated. It was just easy to sympathize for her. Trust me when I say to keep reading this book when things get slow because this book is worth it. The second half is full of awesomeness. It made me read like the book would dissolve into ashes any minute. Action packed, fast paced, romance in a way, full of mystery the second half redeemed this book for me. I can't wait to read the last book. I know without a doubt that no matter what Ednah will write another astounding addition to The Guardian Legacy books. 

Interested in reading my review of the first book? Well here it is.

Check out the trailer for BETRAYED: 

No comments: